Tuesday, October 13, 2009

What do you crave on a rainy day?

It's pouring buckets here in Central California.  I'm not complaining, mind you, because we are in a serious drought situation, especially since the rain puts me in the mood for.........SOUP!




Worker Bee gave me a Williams-Sonoma cookbook called Soup & Stew for my birthday.  I am dreaming of tackling some of these recipes.




On Thursday I'll be making Manhattan Clam Chowder for the first time, straight from this book.


Doesn't this look delicious?  I have wanted to make Boeuf Bourguignon since seeing Julie and Julia this summer.  I think I can make this.



How about something different? Celery Root-Potato Puree? Sounds hearty! If you've never tried celery root it has a delicious mild celery taste.

The recipe box was Sewing Bee's when she was in high school.
I love how her name is written on the bottom in red nail polish.


What kind of soup did I make tonight?  Taco Soup - perfect for a weeknight.  Here's that recipe -


3-14 oz. cans fat-free chicken broth
1-4 oz. can diced Ortega chilies
1 can Stagg Ranchero chili beans
1-15 oz. can of each of the following beans: red kidney beans, black beans, and pinto beans
1-14 oz. can Mexican-style crushed tomatoes (diced is okay too)
2-3 zucchini squash, chopped
1-2 yellow summer squash, chopped
1 cup diced carrots (I use my hand chopper for the carrots, celery, and onion)
1 cup diced celery
1 cup chopped onion
2 tsp. taco seasoning


Place ALL ingredients in a soup pot and cook gently for 30 minutes.  Serves 6-8.





You can garnish with any or all of the following:


sour cream
shredded cheddar, jack or blend of Mexican cheeses
chopped avocado
chopped black olives
sliced green onions
crushed tortilla chips


Also great to have with a salad and corn bread.


Hope you have a cozy evening and can come by again for some warm delicious soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for buzzing by and taking time to leave me a little note. I always enjoy hearing from my friends.