Monday, July 27, 2015

It's Stripping Day!

I know.  It sounds wrong.  But it's really FURNITURE stripping day!

Today, I am tackling:

1.  This slant top desk I picked up this weekend for my Baby Bee.

I wish I could just slap some chalk paint on this cutie and be done with it, but the black paint is bubbled and just pretty nasty, so I'm going to strip it.  Who knows?  I might just leave it with a wood finish instead of painting it.

2.  Our kitchen table.

Long story short - or as best as this verbose bee can make it.  I bought this pine table unfinished but wanted a wax finish for it.  Now wax finishes were not as popular then (about 13-14 years ago) and I was a bit chicken so I had an unfinished furniture store wax it for me.  It looked gorgeous on the pine sample they had.  When I went to pick it up, it was so grayish.  I hated it!  (Now, of course, I would love it.)  I asked what can we do to make it look more "honey" and they said they could stain and poly over the wax finish.

Well, yes, I do believe you can do that.  However, that process sucks!  It started chipping immediately and showing the wax finish underneath.  I've finally had enough and I'm going to try stripping it back to the wax finish.  I have no idea if this is going to work.  It could end up being a huge disaster.

I'll keep you posted.  And....please.....wish me luck!

Buzzingly,

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited to see how they look.

    Hugs from Oklahoma,

    Valerie
    Cottage Making Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to do a lot of furniture stripping. My neighbor had a business and she hired me to help her. She used to finish a lot of furniture in the whitewashed southwest look. I didn't even care for it then! LOL! It is a lot of work - but, worth it if the wood is beautiful. I'm looking forward to see how your pieces turn out!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for buzzing by and taking time to leave me a little note. I always enjoy hearing from my friends.