Thursday, May 10, 2012

Garden Tour #3

I finally want to share with you the last of the gardens Worker Bee and I visited for our anniversary date day.

Garden #4

Who Needs Water?

Is xeriscaping popular in your part of the country?  
Love those pillows!

We live in the Central Valley of California.  The gorgeous Pacific Coast is a couple of hours away to the west, but it is very HOT in our valley in the summer.  We get very little (or really no) rain during the summer.  We aren't quite a desert, but we're pretty close to it.  Xeriscaping is a way to garden and use as little water as possible.
She's growing artichokes!  I LOVE artichokes!  They are my very favorite vegetable.
 This gardener had a very water wise yard.  Lots of cactus and succulents.
This bricked in circular area is where her swimming pool used to be.  She filled it in and planted a garden.
 I have to confess, I'm not that big a fan of cacti.  I think I might have the opposite of a xeriscape garden at Sweet Bee Cottage. 
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the chairs, table, and footstools from an old tree.  
 Now I mentioned I'm not a fan of cactus, but I do have a thing for succulents.
This hanging was made in felt pockets.  And do you see the cute little birds on the ends?  The gardener took a very plain boring wall and made it cute!
The side yard was very welcoming as we walked out of the garden.
Can you tell the lattice is inserted in the fence and is like a window into the neighbor's yard?  Love those suns too! 



The front yard didn't really give away much of what the backyard was like except for these rusted flowers.  Definite xeriscaping there!
And one last shot of the mailbox and the Mexican primrose surrounding it.  Aren't they pretty?  These will just spread and spread and spread.  

Well, things are still pretty busy here.  We just finished state testing and Open House is next week!  Can I just say, "YIKES!!!"  But it will all get done and it's all down hill from there.  Only four more weeks of school. YAHOO!

Thanks so much for buzzing in!  
I've got so many projects I'm buzzing about and I can't wait for the summer to come so I can tackle them with you.  
(You are going to help, aren't you?) 
P.S.  I still have one more garden to share with you so I hope you come back to see my very favorite one we visited.

P.P.S.  I always loved when a letter I got in the mail had a P.P.S.  My cousins and I used to write back and forth over the summer and we always had plenty of P.S.es (how would you pluralize that - I'm not sure).

P.P.S.  This garden tour is my cup of tea so I'm linking up with
Have a Daily Cup with Mrs. Olson!

7 comments:

  1. I enjoy seeing the many different gardens all over the country and those that work with the natural environment. We are SO SPOILED here in the pacific northwest. Our summers are mild and cool and the flowers love it. All summer the garden is beautiful with a parade of summer beauties. But winter comes, and gray skies and we pay for the glorious days then.
    Have a wonderful Mother's Day!
    Gale

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love the garden!! I am not a fan of cacti either!!;) Those Mexican Primrose are gorgeous!! Have a wonderful Mother's Day!! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the lattice window!! I spent last evening helping Mr. Math grade papers!! A teachers work is never done!! Oh and happy national teachers week!!

    chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess we don't I have never heard that term. We are in NH.
    I love the garden but it made me sad she filled in her pool.
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes ~ xeriscaping is very popular here in Idaho. The Treasure Valley is high desert, although you would not know it by my yard. It is completely shaded by big trees. Have a great weekend!

    Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  6. On my one and only trip to California we drove by many artichoke farms. I was so impressed with the fields of them. I wonder if they would grow in South Carolina? I'll have to google that! Congratulations on getting state testing under your belt. It's downhill from now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey cutie, I enjoyed the tour. Even though xeriscaping is my least favorite typ of garden I still like seeing how creative they are. It works great for some people. It's good that we don't all love the same type of gardening, right? Can't wait to see the final garden. Maybe I've missed it. I'm a bit slow at getting around visiting everyone. I really appreciate you sharing with Share Your Cup! Always love a visit from you!
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for buzzing by and taking time to leave me a little note. I always enjoy hearing from my friends.