Thursday, January 30, 2014

Okay....Don't Laugh at Me!

I know some of you are going to think I'm absolutely silly, but I know I've got some kindred spirits out there that are going to completely understand.

I froofified my kitchen sink.  Yes I did.

Did it need to be done?  Did I go out and buy anything new?  Of course not.  I just grabbed some things out of cupboards and I have a pretty little "doing the dishes" spot.  (Not that I do the dishes very often - gotta' say thanks to Worker Bee and even Baby Bee.)  But shouldn't they have a sweet little spot to view while they do those dishes?  (I'm nothing if not thoughtful of the people who do my grunge work for me.)

And I'll tell you the truth, I just looked at that little spot and thought this sure could be prettier when I got home from work today.  No other reason than that.  Sudden inspiration! (or procrastination - I'll let you decide.)

Be sure to appreciate my vintage kitchen tile.  That stuff is older than me!  (Over 60 years old!)  It's such a weird pattern and yet, I kind of still like it.   Dream kitchen would be a black soapstone and then white subway tile, but that ain't happenin' any time soon!

Started with this lovely tray.....

Added this soap dish I've had for ages.  Anybody remember when Eddie Bauer had a home store?  It's been in hibernation but it's back out again.
See what it's going to be used for?  Bar soap just doesn't quite work by the sink - gotta' love the invention of liquid soap. One of my teacher buddies gave me the smiley face sponge.  It was on Shark Tank.  (Not that exact sponge my sillies!)
Yummy citrusy soaps and lotions on one end of the tray...

(Does citrus just smell super clean to you too?)
And a little vintage milk jug to hold  the veggie cleaning brush on the other end.

Now isn't that pretty?  Almost makes me want to do the dishes.  Almost.

Do you ever get that urge?  I think I'm all about dressing up the utilitarian!

Thanks for buzzing along with me.

Making a Sweet Bee family classic tonight for dinner....



YUM!

Buzzingly,

10 comments:

  1. I love your pretty kitchen spot!
    Blessings, Ava

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's important for that space to be pretty and neat ~ welcoming us to stand over the sink and wash those dreaded dishes. : ) Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice! What a great 'spirit lifter'. I love that happy face sponge, my friend gave me one for by BD. It is teriffic! and you know what? I kind of like putting myhands in hot soapy water and handling my pretty dishes one by one. Citrus is ever so nice...and peppermint too. We still use the dishwasher in-between hands on though. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think you're silly at all, in fact, I need to go foofify my kitchen sink now:>) If there is one thing I can't stand it is the mess that all the necessaries make around the sink, and yet, they are so necessary! This looks pretty, and I know just the tray I am going to use. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must admit, I've even been buying a sponge/scubber that matches my kitchen! I think it's ok to have practical and pretty in the same place :)
    ~Chris
    PS thanks for the heads up... hadn't heard that Eddie Bauer Home was back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I notice that your lemony soap came from Trader Joe's. The closest one to me is about an hour away, but the next time I'm there I'm going to pick up some of that! I love how you've beautified the necessaries! Sure wish I could get hubby to wash some dishes because we don't have a dishwasher!!! I haven't gone without a dishwasher since I was a kid (and that was a very long time ago!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I am a kindred spirit. I froofified my sink. One plus yrs. ago we remodeled our kitchen, it is lovely and very small. So what I have is I check out the thrift stores for pretty china saucers that do not have a matching cup. I use that to put my liquid soap on. It looks pretty and catches the drips :) And I do the same for my tiny one and only bathrm. we remodeled 2 plus yrs. ago. I put on the sink a dish and the soap. I am happy you have a large enough area to froofified the sink area. Find a antique spoon or tiny ladle and add to your dish. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! I have that same vintage blue milk jug! Good for you to pretty up such a utilitarian space! Hey, I was wondering if you'd mind emailing me your home address. I'd like to send you a little something! My email is cherrypie11@verizon.net.
    Thanks, Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,
    Did you ever get your Valentine Swap box? And if so, would you share it on your blog?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for buzzing by and taking time to leave me a little note. I always enjoy hearing from my friends.