Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Sweet Bee & Baby Bee's Fairy Gardens

Have you ever wondered what a fairy garden might look like?

Well Baby Bee and I were inspired by Brenda over at Cozy Little House to create our own in the hopes that some fairies might come for a visit.  We decided to create three gardens  - with more on the way undoubtedly - and we had so much fun.  


First we have
Baby Bee's Flower Fairy Garden.....

We started with this unfinished birdhouse.  She wanted it to have a thatched apple green roof.  I was stumped for a few days as to how we could accomplish this......
 but I eventually thought of using pine needles or branches from our coastal redwoods.  So we trimmed the ends of some branches, cut off one side of the little branch and then glued them to the roof, like this.....
Then came the paint.....
From there we used an old galvanized planter and put the garden together.
We used zinnias, some baby tears, some Scotch moss, and a purple potato vine.
Honestly, I'm not sure if everything will survive together, but it looks pretty for right now.

Now the fun part - accessorizing!


The fairies have a little bathtub with a mossy rock to stand on.  The fence is for some privacy.  We still plan to make a little towel for the fairies and put up a welcome sign for them.
The next garden we made was a 
Beach Fairy Garden.....
This is planted with some more Scotch moss and a succulent.  Yeah, we'll see how these survive too, but again, I like the way they look together.  This just has a little house and I found some tumbled glass that reminded me of beach glass so in it went.  We might need to add a little to this, but we haven't found quite the right things yet.  A little beach lounge chair would be so cute.  

The last garden we made was a
Cherry Fairy Garden.......
This is planted with baby tears, a coleus, and another succulent.  I lined part of the edge with these ME cherries that were just being stored in a bag in the hall closet.  Then I found a little miniature hutch that I painted red and white.  It's a good squint paint job.  (If you squint at it, it looks good.  Not squinting, it doesn't look quite as good, so by all means please squint at it.)  Maybe someday I'll make some little teeny tiny dishes out of clay to put in it.
I lined it with these black rocks and I added a little pitcher that I painted cherries on.  I planted it in an old white and red enamel dishpan.

Dear Worker Bee is even thinking of making his own fairy garden - Fairy Vegas!  Yes, his humor is slightly warped but he's definitely worth keeping.

My nieces, Reader Bee and Cutter Bee want to make some too.  We're even talking about making some for Baby Bee's 10th birthday - which won't be until February 2011!  

If you have the least little desire to make one of these - DO IT!  Our imaginations just went wild with these and we had so much fun.  Almost everything we used were things we had on hand. 

Hmmm....I'm already buzzing with ideas for more gardens.....

Thank you so much for stopping in.  Be sure to let me know if you make one of these - I'd love to see it! And I'll let you know if any fairies stop in for a visit.

23 comments:

  1. Those are so adorable. What a wonderful project to create with others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great idea. Your fairy gardens are so sweet. How will you know if a fairy comes to visit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I love your ideas. I just put an old metal bucket in the recycling bin - it's coming out and becoming the home to a garden! Thanks for sharing these adorable ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very sweet fairy gardens. I love them all....the cherry one seems awful sweet...Mica/The Child's Paper

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are so cute. It really does look like fun and you can let your imagination run wild!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now these are just adorable! I don't know if you want the little one to know this. (I'll be quiet.) But you can order all kinds of miniatures online for these fairy gardens. They have everything! If they can ultimately retrieve the links off my old computer, I'll send them to you. Just google miniature fairy garden supplies. Tell her she did a fantastic job with her fairy garden, and so did you!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun. My kids and I would love making those. That is a project we will have to do. Thanks for sharing with us this great idea.... love it.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have taught me something new tonight...I had never heard of fairy gardens, but I can certainly imagine making one with my little Eloise. Thanks so much for sharing with us. This post is precious. Hugs, Genie at Buttons

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Janelle, Your fairy gardens are just adorable. Thank you for sending me the email. Today I haven't been on the computer until now. A busy day to say the least. I didn't even do a post and I usually post daily. Sigh. I helped my sister get ready for her monthly antique show in Atlanta.

    Back to the fairy gardens. What I love most is the way you made them from items on hand. That takes a very clever mind. Smile. Each garden has it's own particular charm. I am partial to cherries.
    Keep us posted as to how your gardens grow. Any fairy would love to live in any of them.

    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your fairy gardens are darling! So glad you shared how to make them. I'll have to try this sometime.
    Hugs, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, such imagination! I haven't even pulled my fairy stuff out of the basement yet, except the fairy door - at least they can go in and out of fairy world, if nothing else!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cute Little Garden. So creative!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Fairy gardens are so pretty. What a wonderful idea and tons of fun.
    Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  14. these are SO cute and what a FUN idea for the kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh how fortunate baby Bee is to have such a sweet Bee like you to play with. You ARE a Sweet Bee. I laughed out loud when I read about Worker Bee's idea. A very clever Bee he is..lol.
    Of course, the Cherry Garden is my personal favorite but they are all very beautiful.
    Thank you so much for sharing with us all.
    Cherry Chick

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are so cute! It would be a great project to do with the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How fun! I know my Sunshine would love to make one. Thanks for sharing. I love the pink and green paint. Too Cute.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute ❀ Cute!
    What fun that would be to do with kids!

    Back Porch Blessings,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are just too, too cute!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your cherry Fairy garden !It is just adorable !
    Blessings,
    ~Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi,
    Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog! As a result, I am a new follower of yours ~ Absolutely love your mini theme gardens... Too Cute!!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  22. These gardens are so cute. I've sent a link of this post to my daughter-in-law. My granddaughters would love to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, deary me, sweet lady bee, you have me so inspired that I'm having a hard time staying and reading on - I'm torn - go get that "Simple Pleasures" book, make something chocolate with the two HUGE zucchinis that I was just given, rearrange my living room furniture, make beaded bracelettes (how do you spell that???) for ladies that we know. Well, since I've been spending the morning tearing my family room apart, I think that I'll just get around to painting it first. What an inspiring break I've experienced here!!

    Love, Katy Noelle

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for buzzing by and taking time to leave me a little note. I always enjoy hearing from my friends.