Saturday, November 6, 2010

Falling Leaves and Hot Chocolate!

After the warm temperatures we've been having today started to feel like autumn again.  The sky was gray and we were sprinkled on several times today.
Baby Bee had Jazz Bee (her BeeFF) over today and for a sleep over.  It was windy last night and the leaves really came down so of course the girls had to play in the leaves.

They also made necklaces and bracelets in the studio.
Jazz Bee (Baby Bee's BeeFF) made a bee necklace.
Baby Bee made a planet bracelet.

After dinner tonight we decided to watch and oldie but goodie - Monster, Inc.  I think that's my favorite Pixar movie and that's saying a lot 'cause I LURVE them all!  

I think we all wanted a sweet little treat and what's one of the best things to look forward to when the weather gets chillier?  Why hot chocolate of course.

Wanna' know how I make hot chocolate?

4 simple ingredients
1.  powdered chocolate (I buy Ghiradelli in a big can from Smart and Final)
2.  milk (we always have 1% so that's generally what I use)
3.  shaved chocolate (I love the bittersweet bar that you can buy at Trader Joe's)
4.  whipped cream (fresh is best, but I'm happy to use a can so I don't make too big a mess)

Shaved chocolate makes the best garnish and it's so easy to do.  I just read on Pioneer Woman's blog that she loves chopping chocolate - well I love shaving chocolate!
I use my vegetable peeler to make shaved chocolate.  
Yum!  Yum!  Yum!  Here's a nice freshly shaved bowl of bittersweet chocolate.
After shaving a good amount I store it in a little spice bottle for future mochas and hot chocolates.
I microwave, steam, or heat the milk on the stove.  Put in about 1/8 of a cup of the powdered chocolate in each cup.  Add the hot milk and stir to blend the chocolate that has now melted into the hot milk.  Squirt the whipped cream and then garnish with the chocolate shavings.

Here's the finished hot chocolate.....
Doesn't that look scrumptious?
We enjoyed our warm for our tummies drinks while we watched Sully save Boo from the evil machinations of Mr. Waternoose.

What are some things that signal the change from summer to fall for you?
Oh I hope you can come enjoy one of these with us soon!  I'd be happy to make you one any time you can come by for a visit.

17 comments:

  1. You are so fun!!! You always remind me to turn my heart towards home. Inspiring! Well, today, I've come back after my absence and seen adorable suitcases, exciting news (in the paper) and the most festive halloween crafts and decorations. I've remembered why I love blogging so much!

    Thank you, Missy Bee!

    Love, Katy

    ReplyDelete
  2. good old fashioned fun... is there any other kind? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. First I want to say that I MISS shopping in Smart & Final. I haven't found a store that compares since we left CA in 1999.

    Your hot chocolate looks devine. We used to go to a little resturant in MN that served the most delicious hot chocolate. You'd get this lovely cup with different types of chocolate broke up in the bottom and a steamy pot of milk to pour over and then on a little plate was a square of homemade marshmallow to plop on top. I imagine yours is very much the same...more than just a mug of cocoa...a total experience :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun. And the hot chocolate looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful fall day & night you all had, Jody! It felt more like fall here, too...finally! My favorite time of the year...

    I love how you make hot chocolate! You've inspired me to get over to Smart & Final and get that big old container of chocolate & put it on my counter in a glass jar, too!

    Thanks for sharing your recipe...where do you live in Ca? Im in Salinas....anywhere nearby?

    Have a beautiful day!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow!! What fun you all had!!.. Love the necklaces, and just look at that hot chocolate! I hang my head in shame, as I've never gotten too fancy with hot chocolate, but yours looks so good! I'm comin' to YOUR house! (0; Have some big leaf piles ready for me!!.. Good to see you enjoying your weekend! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every time a new Pixar movie comes out it's my favorite so I honestly can't commit to just one. LOL!
    And your hot chocolate looks scrumptious!
    Have a great day.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! Great pics!!

    I am with you on the hot chocolate! That is a for sure cool weather treat. I'd love to share a cup of cocoa with you!!
    I know that someday we will get to meet!

    xoxo
    becky

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous way to spend a fall day! Your hot chocolate looks so yummy! I'd love to share one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never had hot chocolate that fancy! Drink one for me too.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that was a pretty high pile of leaves! Looks like fun. I'd love a hot chocolate right now to take my mind of the drip, drip drip coming down IN MY DINNING ROOM! As least it's a good excuse to get out my pretty red mop bucket! Yep, I'm pretty sure fall is here! Hope it stops raining soon and dries out for a few days so we can get this leak fixed!

    Oh, and yea, he noticed right away. The recliner is alread back where it started but at least I got him to admit the new loveseat was really nice. :) Now we just have to figure out how to arrange it all or stretch the room!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute post !! I wish I had some fall leaves. Your hot chocolate recipe looks yummy...I will have to try it.
    Have a great day.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I must do that shaved chocolate! How pretty that looks, and I can just imagine the rich flavor it adds to the hot cocoa. Yummy! Wonderful photos, too.
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh..you caught me..let me get the foam off my mouth..tee hee..
    That does look scrumptios!I have been know to shave a little peppermint in mine..try it..yummy!!
    Can't wait to try it in my ME cup you sent me.
    Love the leaf picture of the girls..so cute!

    Hugs Cindy from Rick-Rack and Gingham

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like fun! Love your hot chocolate recipe - looks yummy
    Hope you have a marvelous day,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great and fun night with the kids...I love hot chocolate! yummy! I also love the movie Monsters Ink. I have watched it with the grandkids.
    Have a sweet day and hug to you~Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for buzzing by and taking time to leave me a little note. I always enjoy hearing from my friends.