Saturday, February 12, 2011

I Just Love Consignment Stores

We have the best consignment store in my little town.  

THE BEST!  

I sell things there all the time, but the best thing is that I just put the things I sell on my account and I'll go in and find something I adore and the sweet owner just subtracts it from the total she owes me.

I love that!

Baby Bee and I decided to take a little trip down there (it's all of about 10 blocks away) today to see what we could find.

Well, look what I found!

Yeah!  I bet that caught your attention.  
It's a  set of silver plate flatware!  
I can't for the life of me read what the pattern is, but it's charming!
8 dinner forks, 8 dinner knives, 8 teaspoons, 8 soup spoons, iced tea spoons, butter pat knives, some service pieces, and some mystery spoons.  

 (edited to add:  The company is National Silver Company and the pattern is Adam.  There are 80 pieces.)
Mystery spoons, eh?

Yes. they're a mystery because I don't have any idea what they might have been used for!


I think the tiny teaspoon ones might be used for espresso?  
(or maybe that's just my coffee bias speculating there)
But what about the soup spoon shaped ones?  

Do you know?

Enlighten me please if you do!

Included in this flatware purchase was also......
this French blue enamel bucket.  

I have no idea how old it is, but I don't think it's super old.  I wouldn't be surprised if it is missing a lid.  But no matter, I love it the way it is.  Not 100% sure what I'm going to do with it, but I can see using is as a utensil crock, for garden storage, as a bouquet holder, etc.

Well thank you so much for buzzin' by and checking out my new treasure(s)!
I so appreciate you taking time out of your day to come by and visit for a bit.  

I'm still working on that spring tea party.  I sure hope you can come.  I think I'll use my new flatware.  

21 comments:

  1. I am not sure what the spoons are since you said that they are tiny. because in the picture they look like tsp,soup,and serving.
    We have a consignment shop in the next town and their prices are so high but boy they sell the stuff. Maybe I am just use to thrift and the dump
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet the tiny spoons are for demi tasse coffee. I have some to use when we have espresso. I believe the smaller soup spoons are for cream soups. You know back then they had a spoon for everything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this silverware. I agree the little spoons are demitasse but the middle spoon not sure at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No idea about the spoons but you got a sweet deal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the middle spoons are ice cream spoons. My aunt had some and I've never seen them before until now. Lucky find!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great finds! Sorry, I'm not sure about the spoons! Your enamel piece would look great with some flowers in it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. just love your blog and your finds. It gives me such a warm and cozy feeling to visit you!
    gail
    adventuresininnkeeping.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi janelle! what fun this must be to have money to use for something new/old. the small spoons are demitasse and the larger are for soup. have you looked them up on any silver sites? i find that this helps, especially when looking for value and patterns. if you email me, i can send you a link i use.

    happy shopping!

    xo
    becky

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet shop! I love your new flatware, although I have no idea about your teeny spoons. It would be fun to find out, wouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boy what a great buy. I wonder if the little one is some sort of dessert spoon. Can't you see someone from the 50's eating floating island out of it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. According to Replacements.com the 4 inch is a demitasse and the middle if 6 inches is an orange spoon. Go there - silver- National - Adam Silverplate. You will find everything you ever wanted to know about it. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I THINK the middle really round soup spoon is a Cream Soup spoon... not positive though...They are darling. Put them in a spooner by your coffee station. :) ummmm coffee and pretty!

    Love the little busket to. Super sweet. I don't think our consignment shop works like that????... I think I better go check and see...It could get a lot more interesting! :)

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow, those are really some hidden treasures you've found there! Don't think I can find anything that nice in my town! :P Maybe I should look harder. Thanks for sharing. :)

    Amy
    http://utry.it

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a catch!!
    Because the size of the bigger soup spoons is not quite clear to me, I would say they are either spoons to use for vegetables, potatoes, or if they are smaller for jam, chutneys, sauces.
    Enjoy the use of it all!
    Jacoba

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great finds-love the large round spoons-but I would have nabbed that blue enamel pale!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have no wisdom about them but they sure are pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the blue enamel milk pail.Warm Blessings!~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your treasure finds...blessings on this Lord's day...Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  19. I bought a set at our church rummage sale..... fifty cents!!! But now my question is this, do you have to polish them or do they just stay shiny with use? I never can figure that out.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with Liz about the very round spoon being one for cream soups. What a great find! Happy Valentine's Day!!

    Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  21. The smallest spoons if they are 5 to 6 inches in length are "teaspoons" they sit nicely on small saucers. They are also called "five o'clock spoons" which are used for afternoon tea. Or they could be demitasse spoons if they are 4 to 5 inches long... The regular spoons that match the same height as your other flatware are not called "teaspoons" they are called "place spoons." The smallest rounder bowled shaped spoons are for bouillon soup. The larger rounded bowled shaped spoons are for cream soup... and the even larger rounded bowled spoon is for gumbo soup. Don't even get me started on all the different knives lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for buzzing by and taking time to leave me a little note. I always enjoy hearing from my friends.