This recipe was on the cover of Family Circle this fall. They claimed this was the best Mac and Cheese recipe ever.
I've made my fair share of Mac'n'Cheese and those were all pretty good recipes. So I took Family Circle on!
And......it WAS the best Mac'n'Cheese I've ever made! Yummmmm!
Here's what you need -
1 box (1 pound) penne rigate
3/4 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 pound Gruyere cheese, shredded
1/2 cup Asiago or Parmesan cheese, shredded
3 Tbl. unsalted butter
3 Tbl. all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 tsp. cayenne pepper
Now, this could get pretty pricey if you go to the regular grocery store. Sorry all of you who are not near a Trader Joe's, but boy do they have phenomenal cheese prices. Gruyere was $9.50 a pound at my local store. It was $5.00 a pound at Trader Joe's. I'll let you do the math.
This is what happens when you ask Worker Bee to shred the cheese for you. Do you see the heart in this pile of shredded cheese? He has his own quirky romantic notions - but I like it.
Here's what you need to do -
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 2 quart dish with cooking spray. Bring large pot of water to boiling.
2. Add penne to the pot of boiling water and cook 6 minutes and then drain. In large bowl toss together the three cheeses and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, melt butter in 2 quart saucepan over medium heat. Whisk the flour in until smooth and bubbly. In a thin stream, whisk in the milk. Stir in onion powder, salt, and cayenne. Bring to boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 2 1/2 cups of the cheese mixture.
4. In the pasta pot, stir together the cooled penne and the cheese sauce. Pour half into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with a heaping cup of the cheese mixture. Spoon the remaining penne into the dish and top with the remaining cheese.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Increase the oven temperature to broil and cook 3 minutes until the top is lightly browned. Let the dish cool slightly before serving.
This was so delicious that I forgot to take pictures until after we already ate 1/3 of it. This is the third time I've made this recipe and it's been great every time. And you have to understand - I'm always trying new recipes - so for me to make something three times must mean it is REALLY good.
Hope you try this recipe. Let me know how it turned out for you.
Thanks for stopping by! I've got some leftovers in the freezer.....