Saturday, May 22, 2010

Do You Have the Same Uncontrollable Urge to Make Utilitarian Cute?

I can't help it!  I see something that has a job to do and it's just not good enough the way it is.  I've got to do some Sweet Bee magic on it. 

Case in point:

The Kitchen Garden is growing fabulously and it's time (well maybe even a little late) to put in some sort of tomato cages.  Worker Bee and I have done a lot of looking for just the right tomato cage and there are some pretty EXPENSIVE tomato cages out there in the world.  $40?  Really?  So after much buzzing about we decided to go with the $1.99 cages from Home Depot.  

Now I love the look of galvanized metal, but these called out for something.   What would it be?

Well, my dears, I decided they needed to be painted.  And what looks just fabulous with green and tomato red?  Why Cherry Red spray paint from Krylon does the trick.

So we went from this -
to this.

Are you as bad as me?  Can't leave well enough alone?  Have I been too influenced by Martha?  

Okay, if I do say so myself, I think this is a pretty great shot of my fabulous tomato cages!

Well I think they look fabulous and they were done in about an hour with dry time.  
So, dear friends, what have you had to take from Plain Jane to fabulous?  Do share your stories!

Thanks for popping in for a quick visit!  I've got some wonderful ginger peach iced tea I can brew up  for us to enjoy out on the patio. 

14 comments:

  1. I am the same way! I LOVE your red cages - that was a great call! Keep it up & I'm going to copy that one - jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great! Your garden is taking off! I'm so glad you stopped by. I'm finally getting some time to visit and I can't tell you how much I've missed it. I get all out of sorts when I don't get to check on my freinds often!
    Hugs,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great idea! Never thought of doing that!

    Hope you're having a wonderful weekend...sounds like you already are!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a cute idea. Can you come up here and help me?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the red. No reason the garden can't be all dolled up also!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet Bee,
    Well I have never thought about painting our tomato cages! Good idea! Our tomato cages (36) are away from our house (near the barn) so no one sees them but us. We do have green tomatoes already! If I painted my cages they would be red!
    Blessings,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love spray paint! What a simple thing to do that makes a huge impact. They look great in the red color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We make our cages out of re-bar from the construction sites..they are really sturdy and can take the weight of the plants..they stack nicely after usage..but they are so ugly ..at first..then the plants grow and you can hardly see thme. lol I do Love the red tho!!!

    Hugs..Cindy from Rick-Rack and Gingham

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE it.And you know exactly why! lol

    hmmmm..I'm trying to think what I've done? I'm sitting here with my eyes roaming around me to see what I've done.

    Off hand I can't think of anything. Of course as soon as I press send I will probably remember, LOL.

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally cute! It just so happens that a tomatoe cage is on my shopping list this week, and Home Depot was my destination...so red cherry paint has been added to the list. Thanks!!! Yvonne :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Sweet Bee!! That is just the cutest idea...decorating your tomatoes. I love it. :)
    Fondly,
    Ann
    @
    The Tattered Tassel

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this idea! My husband is wanting to get some tomato plants and I just may have to paint the cages too.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so going to do that with mine...you wait and see!!! Thanks ...it really does look way better....Have a great week...Mica/ the Child's paper

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi there,

    Thanks for sharing the link - but unfortunately it seems to be down? Does anybody here at sweetbeecottage.blogspot.com have a mirror or another source?


    Cheers,
    Charlie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for buzzing by and taking time to leave me a little note. I always enjoy hearing from my friends.