Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Gifts from the Heart

I have two dear friends that I ALWAYS have fun with.  We give each other such a hard time and we laugh like crazy when we're together.  We got together to bake for our 21st annual Christmas Bake-a-thon and I laughed so hard I felt as if I had been throwing up for days.  Sorry - I know it's gross, but how else could I describe how hard I laughed?

Anyway, I always try to make something for them for Christmas in addition to finding other little treasures for them.

This year I found the cutest scarves at Wal-Mart --- big, buffalo plaid fleece scarves.  I thought they were so cute and (the crafting buzz hit) I thought I could make them more personal, so I decided to applique unique simple designs on to each of them.  

Here's the problem - I haven't embroidered in at least ten years.  I couldn't remember how to blanket stitch OR even the name of the stitch I used for the cherry stem.  Thank goodness for the internet!  I just did a youtube search and found several videos that helped me resuscitate my rusty needle work skills.  Sat on the couch with my beloved iPad and went to work.  I had to watch some of the videos more than once.  So......don't look too closely at the quality of the work - just enjoy!  

For the Singing Bee (who I should probably call the Mary Engelbreit Bee) I put cherries on her scarf.
For the More Creative Bee (who I should probably call the Halloween Bee) I added a witch's hat and a pumpkin - the girl loves Halloween.  Where else can you find a Halloween scarf if you don't make it yourself?
(And if you're asking yourself, what stitch did she use for the purple band on the hat, I just totally made that up!)

What have you made this Christmas???
Or, what do you wish you had time to make this Christmas???

Thanks so much for buzzing by today!

P.S.  I bought one of these scarves for myself and the first person to guess what I'm going to applique to mine will win a prize!
***Edited to add:  Cindy guessed correctly - a bee!  Although I love the beehive and coffee cup ideas!  I might have to buy more scarves to make those too!

13 comments:

  1. Bee..a bee..do I win!?!!
    Cindy from Rick-Rack and Gingham

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn! Cindy beat me to it! I just got home to read your post!
    I'll say a "beehive" then...lol.
    Love your cute cherry scarf for "singing Bee". I hope you win something wonderful Ms. Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are too cute! You always make the cutest things. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh, bees? I love the one with the cherries, it does just look like Mary E.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are adorable and I loved how you personalized them. Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute. I will have to look for some of those. I see I am following my friend Cindy around today on the blog world.
    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful friendship gift. I appreciate you dropping in for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love receiving handmade gits - it really means something to me when someone goes to that kind of effort and I bet your friends will appreciate that too.

    On Christmas eve I'll exchange little gifts with 5 girlfriends and I made tea towels for each one and am adding a vintage silverplate butter knife that they can use to serve appetizers -- they all host dinner parties regularly.

    Merry Christmas to you and your entire beehive!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cup of coffee is my guess! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gifts like this really show the receiver how much you care about them. I'm going to head to Wal-Mart to try to find some of those scarves. Merry, Merry Christmas to you and yours:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there!
    I just wanted to stop by to say hi and thank you for participating in my giveaway....it's so nice to meet you:)
    I really love these scarves and kudos to you for sitting through the online tutorials!!
    Hope you have a Merry Christmas!
    Blessings,
    Sabre'

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know exactly what you mean about laughing so hard - but isn't it great? Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Merry Christmas to you and your family! I love the cherries on the scarf, red on black and white buffalo plaid, what's not to like?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for buzzing by and taking time to leave me a little note. I always enjoy hearing from my friends.