Saturday, September 4, 2010

It's Been an Extremely Busy Week

Don't you just hate it when you forget to turn off the alarm on Saturday mornings?  Well, that happened today and now I'm up at my usual weekday time and I really needed to sleep in.  I have been burning the candle at both ends and the dark shadows under my eyes almost make me look like I have black eyes.

I cannot believe this past week.  I haven't had time to post and I've barely had time to visit with my bloggy friends.  It started with Parent Teacher Club meeting on Monday at my daughter's school, then the start of piano lessons for Baby Bee, then Back to School Night at my school on Wednesday, to many projects for both PTC and my school in between.  Good thing dance doesn't start until next week. Last night we went to the big city as soon as I got home to buy dance clothes for Baby Bee, dance shoes, paint for a special project, and a ginormous trip to Costco.  And now I'm up at 6 AM.  It's still kind of dark outside.  I should go watch the sunrise, but I'm just not that motivated to do that.  
So, I oh so casually mentioned we bought some paint.  Did that catch your attention?  Are you wondering what project I might be tackling?
(This is part of the long bookshelf.  See how it's a dark green?  That needs to change too, but not today.  The curtains are staying because I LOVE THAT FABRIC.  When we turned the dining room into our library we didn't need as much bookshelf space out in the sunroom so I now store dishes, etc. behind the curtains.)

Well, I have been wanting to make some changes in our dining room/sunroom.  When we first moved in here I turned the sunroom into a garden themed room. We had a custom bookcase built all along the wall underneath the living room window.  I had bent willow furniture and lots of dark greens, bright florals, and white/ivory in there.  I had a loveseat in a seating area and a little table set up for games or projects.  It really was a very cheery room.  Do I have pictures of it somewhere?  I'm sure I do, but they are not digital and..........um..........true confession, my photos are NOT organized at all.  I vow every summer I'll get them organized, but I always find something else to do instead.  So, I digress, which I tend to do.  Why am I telling you all this?  Probably because it's 6 AM and I'd rather be in bed sleeping, oh and that I can't show you what the room used to look like.

Okay, okay, I'll get to the point.  We turned our sunroom into our dining room because the original dining room was WAY TOO SMALL.  Oh dear, I'm still not getting to the point.  I need a latte.
(I told you it was still dark out - not a lot of light to help with this picture this morning.)

So since we turned the sunroom into our dining room I have not worked on many projects out there.  It's time to start  s-l-o-w-l-y.  Today, I am painting my china hutch and Worker Bee is pouting about it.  Worker Bee gave me the china hutch for Christmas many years ago.  We are big buyers of unfinished furniture so he finished it.  He did a lovely job, but his feelings are hurt because I want to paint it.  I feel bad for him, but it needs to change.  I'm pretty sure he will live.
(yep, still fairly dark outside)

The outside will be this gorgeous mossy green and the inside will be white.  I'm toying with the idea of buying some lights to put on each shelf - the shelves are solid wood.  Just don't know yet.  I have some crystal stemware from when we got married and I have a lot of Depression glass.  I think I'll paint it first and then see.

Please don't forget to enter my giveaway!  You have until midnight tonight!  California time!  You don't have to be a follower, just leave a comment on my giveaway post.  You can reach by clicking on the picture on the top of my sidebar.  (I've got to make it a little complicated, right?)  

Thanks for buzzing in for a visit. 

What are you doing this long weekend? 

I've got lots more to share soon.  Reader Bee's (my niece) birthday party is tonight, my husband's aunt just sent us the most gorgeous quilt, and of course, the transformation of the china cabinet.  Hope you can come back soon.  

Next time we'll have a quiet visit and we can share a nice white mocha.  Sound good?

You're always such a delight to see!

15 comments:

  1. You should be called Busy Bee! I love your china cabinet and can't wait to see it painted. Why do men have such trouble with painted wood!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel....I felt that way yesterday, but fortunately I did remember to turn the alarm off for this morning...
    Looking forward to seeing the transformed hutch. How exciting!
    I love tweaking and painting too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janelle..I know what you mean on hurting his feelings. When My hubbie makes me something he expects it to stay that way.But it is mine..right?? lol

    I think it will be awesome!! Sorry you have had such a busy week. If blogging had been around when I was raising my crew there is no way..much less Face Book..lol

    Looking forward to seeing the end results. I do love that material on the bookshelves also!!

    Hugs..Cindy from Rick-Rack and Gingham

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - even on the weekend you're very busy! But that kind of busy is what I like. I like the idea for changing your China cabinet. Truthfully, I don't mind waking up early on a Saturday - there's just something different about waking up early on the weekend - mostly that you don't have to go to work!

    Looking forward to seeing your china cabinet when you're finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your paint color! Guys do have a thing for natural wood and we seem to love to paint things! There's a happy medium somewhere!!!
    Just knowing you love the china cabinet to want to make it special may make all the difference.
    I hope you all have a wonderful weekend,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. My...you are a 'Busy Bee'! Lots more busy plans down the road it seems like, too. I'm anxiously waiting to see who is fortunate to be selected for the big "giveaway".
    I vote you take a nap this afternoon since you were up so earlier and have party plans tonight.
    ´*•.¸(´*•.¸♥¸.•*´)¸.•*´
    ♥•.*.Thank you.*.•♥
    ♥•.*.from Vicki.*.•♥
    ¸.•*´(¸.•*´♥´*•.¸)´*•.¸

    ReplyDelete
  7. So funny...this was the first morning in FOREVER that I actually got to sleep in! Loved it, but now I'm feeling a little sloggy! Not used to so much sleep! I definitely burn the candle at both ends on a continual basis!

    Love the paint you've chosen, it will looks beautiful!

    Hope your weekend is wonderful--now go and take a little nap!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a hot one here today. I hope your doing alright hence not getting a lot of rest. Sounds like a BUSY BEE schedule. We are officially starteing school this week and I have been preparing how were scheduling it all out, plus Freckles is starting piano lessons as my son is working on theory for piano. I can't believe he is in 11th grade youch! I went to a couple garage sales this morning and will probably be doing a couple crafty things for the long weekend. I love the color choice of what your hutch will be colored I think it will look great with depression glass in it. I can't wait to see... Worker Bee may even like it once it is finished..it is amazing what fresh paint color will do to a piece and the area it is in. I have done it to my hubby too believe me. They have to live with our whims..hee hee. Is he painting it for you? Have a great weekend, get some rest...see ya back here soon..Mica/ The Child's Paper

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have been busy! I can't wait to see the hutch painted. I want to paint my oak china cabinet and oak table and chairs we have in the kitchen off white with a chocolate glaze like my kitchen cabinets. The only thing is we had so many meals at that table where Amber sat and ate so many meals it's just hard to do. I am sure you will motivate me!
    Maybe you can get some sleep tonight!
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. How well I remember the days before my retirement. As a teacher there were many days when I burned the candle at both ends...especially when my kids were little. But even now I miss my teaching...miss it every day! It is nice though not to have to get up so early every a.m.!!!! I started back with my mentoring new teachers this past week. I have 7 new charges and they are all so excited! I can't wait to nurture them! Hope you have the best year ever. But do remember to get some rest from time to time!!!! Oh...love that green and think the hutch will look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to see photo's of the repainted hutch. I can understand why Worker Bee might feel sad about having his hard work covered by paint. But in the end I think he will come to enjoy it's new look.

    Perhaps you were too early in the year to see the sunflowers as you crossed KS. Or else you were looking for the big seed head variety... but those are not our wild KS state flower. Ours have multiple blossoms per stem with a flower more the size of a daisy.

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend!! (I'm so glad to have Monday off!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can you come to my house I have a lot of stuff to paint. Love the green color - can't wait to see the finished hutch - green is my favorite color.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the new green better than the old green - and those curtains are great! My husband was a wood guy - not that he would bother to fix anything - he just preferred wood over painted finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Painting the hutch is a great idea. Can't wait to see it completed. Take your time and don't rush through it. Patience
    Frank Malone is a former business owner now retired and works as a content writer. I enjoy relaxing outdoors, you can read more about sunrooms and
    outdoor spaces at Frank's websites,
    Sunroom Furniture
    and
    Resin Wicker Patio Furniture

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for buzzing by and taking time to leave me a little note. I always enjoy hearing from my friends.