Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving to You!

I hope this Thanksgiving finds you with many blessings to give thanks for.

One of the things we are thankful for is family.

We will be with my family this year here in California.  In our family, as I imagine many of you do, we farm out the dishes to different family members.

This year I am making homemade cranberry sauce (one of my favorite dishes to make), homemade rolls, and a dessert that is NOT pie.

So I thought I would share with you my cranberry sauce recipe with you since Williams-Sonoma was kind enough to share it with me a several years ago when I bought their cookbook.

Enjoy!

Apple Orange Cranberry Sauce

1/2 orange
2 cups water
1 tart apple (such as Granny Smith)
3 cups fresh cranberries
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves

1.  Juice the orange half and save the juice for later.
2.  Remove the white pith/membrane from the orange rind and then cut the rind into a small dice.
3.  Put the diced orange rind into a small saucepan with the water, bring to a boil, and cook for 10 minutes.  Drain and then set aside.
4.  Quarter the apples and then chop into small pieces.  Place in a medium saucepan.
5.  Sort the cranberries and toss any soft ones.  Add the cranberries to the apple along with the reserved orange peel, orange juice, sugar, cinnamon, and cloves.  

6.  Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cover partially.  Simmer gently, stirring occasionally until the sauce has thickened and the cranberries have burst and the apple is tender, about 10-15 minutes (but tonight it took about 20 minutes).
7.  Let cool or cover and refrigerate overnight.  Bring back to room temperature before serving.

Makes 3 1/2 - 4 cups of cranberry sauce.
Worker Bee is hoping there will be leftovers!

Tomorrow morning I'm making my rolls and prepping the chocolate croissant bread pudding (remember....something that is NOT pie).

Happy Thanksgiving!
I hope you know what a blessing you are in my life!
You are very much appreciated.

With honey,
 

17 comments:

  1. HAve a wonderful Thanksigiving with all your family..... hugs, Flavia from Italy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving! Hope your a buzz with blessings!~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving my American friend!!!

    p.s. Hope there is leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving to The Bee Family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving from the East Coast!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Thanksgiving filled with many blessings to you and yours this day...Hugs,Mica

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a blessing in my life as well! Happy Thanksgiving!!

    Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a blessing in my life as well! Happy Thanksgiving!!

    Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a fabulous feast:>) Happy Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum - I love home made cranberry sauce but have never tried it will apples. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cranberry sauce sounds yummy! I will have to share the recipe with my oldest son who is the official cranberry sauce maker every year. I hope you'll share your dessert recipe. It sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Quintessential Thanksgiving! I bet it was yummy!
    I hope you had a lovely holiday! :)

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looked wonderful, I hope you had a great Thanksgiving with your family.

    Love the jar that you keep the sugar in!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Your cranberry sauce looks great! Baby Boy made our cranberry sauce this year - turned out very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum...that cranberry sauce looks and sounds amazing. Thanks for sharing.

    I had a lazy Thanksgiving and now, I'm catching up on visiting my friends on the blog land and checking emails. :) Hope you had a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving with your loved ones.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made Amish bread pudding last year- you know, I NEVER order it in a restaurant, but I would try yours- chocolate bread pudding sounds wonderful. I took it easy on myself this year and did not make cranberry sauce...I was disappointed. Should have.
    I hope you had a glorious family holiday!
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for buzzing by and taking time to leave me a little note. I always enjoy hearing from my friends.