Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Yummy for Your Tummy

There has been a breakfast treat I've been dying to make for years.  Yes, years.  Never let it be said that I don't work out all the angles before I tackle something.  HA!  I wish!

Honestly I bought these little red bowls about 4 or 5 years ago, just to make this dish....and today was the first time I actually made it.
So....are you curious?  Do you want to know what took me so long to work up the nerve to make?

Oatmeal Brulee! ( I have no idea how to put the accent in there on blogger.)
Add caption
Start of by making your oatmeal. 
Honestly, I just cleaned that stove top!  No, really!  What? You have your doubts?  Well please keep them to yourself! 

(And we make the cooked kind, c'mon, it only takes about 5 minutes of cooking - it's really fast and so much tastier.  You can go here to read more about my oatmeal obsession. )

Then because everybody likes a little something different on their oatmeal, I pulled out the dried fruit and nut basket from the pantry, some spices, and maple syrup.

Worker Bee wanted maple syrup.

Baby Bee wanted raisins and cinnamon.

Baby Bee's BFF (we came up with a nickname for her --- Strawberry Bee!) wanted cinnamon and brown sugar.  

And I, Sweet Bee, wanted a dried berry medley (and of course, Trader Joe's has just such a blend).
After cooking the oatmeal, I added everything each person wanted and stirred it up.

Then, I spread brown sugar all over the top of the oatmeal.

Now you could use a kitchen torch, but do I have one of those?  No, of course not (although I've thought about buying one many times), but I do have a broiler (on my oven, of course).

Popped those cute red bowls in the oven and broiled the heck out of that brown sugar.
Smelled so good!!!

I pulled them out and....well......we mostly had that nice crunchy top on our oatmeal.  I have to confess, it was not a complete and total success.
I think next time I would smooth the top of the oatmeal and then spread the brown sugar more evenly on top.  (Also Worker Bee's maple syrup made it a little runny and he never did get a crackling top.)

And guess what?  I'm making it again tomorrow morning!  Definitely worth the effort to achieve perfection on this simple dish.

Have I convinced you?  Are you going to try it?  

It's been a treat to see you! (Sort of like how Oatmeal Brulee is a treat!)
All of us at Sweet Bee Cottage love to read your comments and thank you for your visit!
Hope you're enjoying getting ready for your Thanksgiving!
And, of course, I've got to link up for Rednesday 
with the delightful Sue!

18 comments:

  1. Mmmm two things I love. That looks divine. Breakfast and dessert. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness~~Yummy!

    Happy Thanksgiving to you:)
    Have a blessed holiday & Happy Redensday!

    Hugs,
    Kay Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol....honestly if we lived close by I know we would be fast friends. I looked at your pot of oatmeal on the stove and thought "could she not have cleaned that ring around the burner?" Then I just laughed out loud when I read your comment about just cleaning it! The number one reason I don't take pictures around my house...what if they notice all of the dust bunnies?
    I'm not an oatmeal fan but you sure made it looking appealing in you post today. The special red dishes are darling, too. I think you should try cream brulee (my favorite) in them sometime.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your little bowls. Looks like you found several good uses for them. Everything sounds so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks..I'm starving now..LOL. Oh my it looks absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those bowls are precious! And I so love oatmeal! Happy Thansgiving!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boy does that look and sound (and I bet smell) WONDERFUL!! I love your red wavy bakers :)

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  8. There have been times when I've wanted to take pictures of something on the stove, but the thing is so old that it Does Not come completely clean. Doesn't it just drive you nuts when you're trying to take a picture for your blog, and it turns into a big cleaning session?!
    The Brulee is right up my alley! Love oatmeal and brown sugar and I'd love to make it, but first I have to find some cute bowls like yours!
    Happy REDnesday and Happy Thanksgiving!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sweet Bee......sounds like a great recipe...but what I'm really lovin' about this post is those ADORABLE little red bowls!! LOL LOL

    xo

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy! I love oatmeal - we've been eating steel cut oats (sadly, it's the frozen oatmeal from Trader Joe's). My favorite topping is brown sugar - never thought of "bruleeing" it. I do own a torch...have only used it 2 times...but it's lots of fun to use!

    Loved meeting for coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can invite me over anytime! :)


    CLAD IN RED

    Whenas in red my Julia’s clad,
    Then, then (methinks) she’s wicked bad—
    Like Hester Prynne, but not so sad.

    Next, when I cast mine eyes and see
    Those crimson skirts flow full and free,
    Her sweet seductions taketh me!


    (With apologies to Robert Herrick, 1591-1674)

    © 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

    Red Lichen

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have one of those kitchen torches, but I've never used it! Now you've given me a reason. Your red bowls are too cute! I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG! Sounds delish! Maybe Santa will bring me a torch for Christmas.LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your little red bowls! I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi! looks and sounds delicious:) how've you been? im missing blogging so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the red bowls and the oatmeal brulee looks delish !I hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, my...oh, my! how this made me laugh!!! It, sometimes, takes me years to get to special ideas, too. "All the angles" - yup - that's me! =D I need to let things simmer....;)

    and, Creme brulee (in any guise).....mmmmmm! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for buzzing by and taking time to leave me a little note. I always enjoy hearing from my friends.